Friday, August 10, 2012

New Alexandria Championship Update

New Alexandria -  Another hard hitting event held at  New Alexandria.  If you didn't get the chance to make it out, well you definitely missed out on some good action track side. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it in time to watch the full lawn mower demo but didn't miss any of the automobiles.  The track was tacky and cars were getting good bite.  Honestly probably the best track condition I have seen there all year.

To start things off, qualifying heats were ran in the compacts and 80's and newer divisions.  The compacts were up to bat first with the 80's and newer on deck. The compact qualifying heat was nothing spectacular so you wont hear much out of me about that.

The 80's and newer qualifying heat was were the fun started.  All of them fighting for a position into the final event.  I didn't catch how many actually were advanced into the event but I sure know John Kashin in the 18 car put on a show.  Upon his entrance to the pits some commotion took place but was over by the time I made it over there.

To my surprise the full-size trucks were next, which I had no clue they were even running tonight.  I didn't quite catch any of the names but they put on a great show.  I was probably too focused on the event and less on names at the time. Other than that congratulations to the winner.

The compact feature came in and it looked like a decent field of cars, I attempted to count them an got around 20 maybe 21, but i could be wrong.  My underdog pick for this event Shaun Krouse in the number 45 car competed well but ended up being put out by Jason Sleasman in the black and yellow number 7 on a nose to nose shot.

I noticed there was a lot of the square back Luminas there and only a few bubble luminas.  Of course some other random cars in the mix as well.  

As the cars started to drop out it came down to the final three of #7 Jason Sleasman, #231 Matt Guy and #189 Stephen Timko.  Sleasman was the first out of the final three.  During the battle, both Guy and Timko shut off but both cars would fire back up. In the end Matt Guy pulled off the win and was crowned Champion in the compact division. Congratulations Matt!

During a break in the action, Aaron the track promoter(?) was announcing about the raffle car and had Patrick Upole draw the ticket.  To his surprise he drew a ticket belonging to a friend of his Jennifer Mutnansky who did not take the wheel of it in the feature and gave the car to her husband Chris.

The 80's and newer feature was then the highlight of the evening.  The field was packed with a lot of talented drivers and strong looking cars.  The occasional track shots really got my attention.  My underdog pick of Jason Mazzoni didnt make the final three and was knocked out mid way through.  The field of 28 was narrowed down eventually and the last three running were #121 John Haggerty, #001 Mark Cioppa and #200 Dan Trent. Haggerty was the first to drop out of the mix. The battle was on after that.  At times I thought one or the other has won but to my surprise both cars kept firing up after a few seconds.  In the end Dan Trent took home the victory.  Congratulations Dan!

2 comments:

  1. Lawnmower results
    #394 Saxon Sheffler.
    #916Z Jim Clark Jr
    #621 Matt Ashbaugh
    #718 Tyler Wilson

    ReplyDelete